Saturday, July 26, 2014

I Want To Starve

Taste and see that the Lord is good! How blessed is the one who takes shelter in him! -Psalms 34:8
We started going to Gonaives 5 weeks ago to minister to the people in the park that we knew were sleeping there and living by begging in front of the Catholic church located next door. At night time we go and play a Frisbee game to draw attention and be able to meet new people and see who is setting up for their night at "home". On the 1st night I met 4 young men (18-25 y/o) who wanted to talk and just be fresh boys... They were smoking and drinking so I gave them the "mommy finger" and reprimanded them for their bad habits. They loved that and I invited them over to play the game and meet the rest of our group. Stephen, Petterson, Janti (which means "nice") and Sexy (When I asked him his name he said "Sexy Boy", I laughed and asked what his mama called him which is "Diligen" but everyone knows him by Sexy b/c he is so skinny) are going to be world changers- these young men instantly looked up to Fritznel, respected him and Have been starving for direction and leadership. 
Week after week the ONLY thing Stephen & Sexy have ever asked us for has been Bibles. The don't ask for jobs, food, money or water which are all NEEDS for these guys who live by the skin of their teeth... They have only asked for Bibles which is what leads me to this blog... Why am I not STARVING?? I want to be more like them!
 
So he humbled you by making you hungry and then feeding you with unfamiliar manna. He did this to teach you that humankind cannot live by bread alone, but also by everything that comes from the 
Lord 's mouth. -Deuteronomy 8:3
 
I NEED THAT!! I want to get to the place in my life where when I have nothing, ALL I want/need is the Word. When I have all i want... I want the Word MORE! I know the "unfamiliar manna" of what the world has to offer as satisfaction and I know the Bread of Life and yet I choose to satisfy my flesh so often. Why do I want to check emails before I want to be in the Word with my Daddy and Creator of the Universe?!
 
Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. The one who comes to me will never go hungry, and the one who believes in me will never be thirsty. -John 6:35
 
This past week I came with Bibles for Stephen and Sexy & surprised Sexy the fist morning as we were leaving the feeding program. He squealed! He jumped! He showed it off! I don't believe this young man has accepted Christ yet and I know he is not living his life surrendered to the Lord but I do now he is STARVING. He is starving for truth, love and purpose. It was shocking to me to see how he reacted to a book that was full of ways that contradicted with his present life. He later told us that people were offering to buy it from him for $100 Haitian dollars which Is more than you would pay for a Bible in the market. He wouldn't give it up and said that that day he read in Isaiah and read about pride. :) I directed him to John and challenged him to learn of the man Jesus. 
 
The last morning Stephen finally came and was so jealous about Sexy's Bible. As we got in the car I handed him the Word of God through the window and he jumped up and down, hugged it and even kissed it. Someone mentioned taking it from him so I gave I'm a pen to write his name in it & I've never seen someone so determined to claim a book as their own. He mentioned that he could now go to church and learn it himself, and he was so appreciative of the LIVING Word that is going to change his entire life. A woman came to the car door and asked if I had another one and that when I returned "if God desired", I could bring her one as well. I had never seen her nor do I know if I will again but she was bold and starving enough to ask. 
 
Are you hungry? How hungry? Are you starving? 
 
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, -Matthew 25:35
 
We give out 330 pounds of rice a week, serving 3,250+ meals a month and it doesn't mean a thing if they die the next day and don't know of the Savior Jesus Christ. 
 
We went to minister to the least of these and yet I have been ministered to by them. 
Please be in prayer for us as a family and our leaders. We want to give the real food out and be bold in proclaiming the coming of the Messiah. I pray for you and the mission field the Lord has called you to. Be bold and find the starving people in your life.
 
To support our mission and help feed the people physical or Spiritual food please donate to PayPal at Empoweringhaitianmoms@gmail.com 
 
Learn more about Empowering Haitian Moms at our new website Empoweringhaitianmoms.org



No comments:

Post a Comment